Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I have to live to participate in this program?
What certifications can I recieve through this program for free?
You recieve many from this program!
Do I recieve college credits from this program?
Every Graduate recieves 3 Conestoga College credit which can be utilized for further education within the Manufacturing and Warehousing field.
Do I have to pay to participate?
The Skills2Advance program is totally free for participants!
Is the forklift training done in Brantford?
Yes, the Forklift/Reach Truck and First Aid training take place in Brantford. We also provide additional hands on practice to ensure everyone is comfortable using all machinery.
Do you help find employment?
The Skills2Advance will assist each participant in resume building, interview practice and job searching assistance. We also have employer partners that work with us to speed up the hiring process. Our goal is long term sustainable employment. We want everyone to find a job they can enjoy and thrive in!
How long is the program?
- The online learning portion of the program is 6 weeks in length with full time learning. Approximately 30 hours a week.
Are there any videos highlighting the program?
We certainly do! You can video is below:
Is Skills2Advance active on social media?
We are all over social media! Give us a follow for up-to-date content!
Where can I go to find a job right now?
We would recommend visiting the Grand Erie Jobs website for your job searching needs!
What is Skills2Advance?
Skills2Advance is a SkillsAdvance Ontario pilot project funded by Employment Ontario to train members of the community with the technical, essential and employability skills needed in the Manufacturing & Warehousing industry within Brantford, Brant, Norfolk, Haldimand, Six Nations and New Credit, County of Oxford , City of Brantford, City of Cambridge, City of Hamilton, City of Kitchener regions.
What are the benefits of Skills2Advance for me?
- Certificate of Completion
- Potential for full-time employment
- 6 weeks of free & comprehensive training designed for the industry by employers & professional trainers
- Financial & counseling supports to reduce barriers to employment
- College Credits & Workplace specific training such as, WHMIS, WHSC, and forklift
- Paid 2 week placement with local business
- Industry insight, networking opportunities & introduction to community resources
What are the basic industry requirements to get a job in Manufacturing or Warehousing?
- May regularly be required to use hands to reach and grab objects
- May regularly lift 10-50lbs and occasionally lift over 50 lbs with equipment
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Low to medium computer, math, literacy and communication skills
How do I qualify for Skills2Advance?
- Unemployed or working 20 hours or less a week
- 18+ years old
- Not in school
- Interested in a career in Manufacturing & Warehousing
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Currently working but facing challenges in retaining job
- Residing in Brantford, Brant, Norfolk, Haldimand, Six Nations and New Credit, County of Oxford , City of Brantford, City of Cambridge, City of Hamilton, City of Kitchener